Meta's World

What's going on with Meta, random thoughts, PMS induced rants, and whatever else I feel like writing about.

Monday, December 20, 2004

I LOVE BEING A DJ

I made a simple burn CD of Christmas songs for a co-worker. You know, the motown, soulful stuff. I have requests for 2 more. That's what makes it worth it. They're gifts, no charge. It feels so good to be loved- hehe. Or in the words of a wise man Biz Markie "Damn it feels good to see people up on it!"

Well, the corporate gig came and went and I wish I could say without a hitch. One of the party planners at Accenture was a bitch. No need for me to mince words. The other one was my girl. The bitch however didn't show up for the walkthrough. Had she shown up, the problems I experienced would have been non-existent. The PA system was old. The event coordinator at Marshall Fields never put me in touch with the electrician. Two dingbats with no tech knowledge should not be allowed to talk about tech stuff, simply put. I had to run in the cold to get the proper cord to jack into the system. The acoustics were awful. Corporate chicks kept asking me to play Nelly. I kept my cool, but said fuck it, and played the most ghetto shit I had. They wanted it anyway. I was trying to please everyone, a lil rock here, some pop there, a Christmas tune or two. They wanted freakin Nelly. Now did they drop down and get they eagle on? No. Then the bitch thought I shouldn't have gotten paid the full amount. But I did. Plus a tip. Screw her. I'm gonna make sure her boss knows what part she played in all the mishaps. But her boss liked me and said I was great. Still, I don't like her 'tude, and don't nobody mess with Silky Slim! Yeah, the DJ name has been changed again! After watching Uptown Saturday Night, we decided I should be Silky Slim. It's fitting, it has a nice lil ring to it, and he was so gangsta in his butterfly collars! Anyhoo, what did I learn from all this? DJing is a business. I will not work without a signed contract that a) says that if there are electrical or tech difficulties I will not be held responsible b) I want half my money upfront, the other half when I walk in the door. No dough, no show. c) My fee is not by the hour, it is by the gig. I'll add d and e and f as I grow as an artist, but in the meantime, it's grind time. (If there are any DJs out there with some business advice, do share!) Gotta find more jobs, because even with all the snags, I still loved it. And I loved how everyone's face reflected awe when I said "I'm the DJ".

OK, what is the crowd fave?Shejay 1Der WomanShejay Silky SlimCrossfader MetaDJ Digital Diva. Or are there any suggestions?

Here's what I'm bumpin in the Cavalier (ooh, fly ride) right now.

1. L.A.M.B.- Love.Angel.Music.Baby by Gwen Stefani. Stand out cuts are Harajuku Girls, What You Waitin' For (my inspirational song of the day), Payback which uses a sample of Between the Sheets (yeah like we need another one of those!) but is still fresh and unique, Holla Back (until she says this shit is bananas, b-a-n-a-n-a-s; that's just cheesy) and Rich Girl (though I'm undecided on if I like it or not. The original is my all time favorite reggae song. I don't think it should be touched) The whole thing is very 80s flavored; I don't know if that's good or bad. But Gwen Stefani is so cute and has such energy, she pulls it off.

2. Jay-Z & Linkin Park- Rock & Rap, need I say more? Run DMC pioneered it and Jigga is now biting, I mean, using it to his full advantage. He doesn't sound as braggadocious over rock music. Same lyrics though.

3. Okay by Nivea- It's catchy. It's a great girls night out song.

4. Still in Love Forever by ???- The 80s jam, I can't recall who sang it. "It's late at night I hear, the rain outside my windowpane..." High school memories. I heard it when I was with my man Saturday, and let's just say, it got things percolating.

Still in Love Forever is by Troop! Wooooo! The mere mention of the name Troop brings back memories of ugly leather Jackets! They made some cuts though! Spread My Wings, and, uh, um, er. Ok, so they had two cuts. But they were dope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home